Espanola Public Library
Brief History of the Library
Founded by the Women's Club
The Library is currently housed in the Lucero Center Recreational Complex at 313 N Paseo De Oñate. The Lucero Center is named after former Española City Mayor Richard L. Lucero. The library was established by the Espanola Women's Club. In 1915 Books were placed in the home of Mrs. Margaret Sargent, daughter of Samuel McBride, first Stationmaster in Espanola for the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. She was paid one dollar a month, for her services as a librarian. She checked books out of her home while working as a telephone operator (the town's switchboard was also located in her home). Originally books were rented for 5 cents each. During the 1920's, the Women's Club installed the library into their clubhouse. The Library remained in the clubhouse for many years. In 1950 a freak storm flooded the clubhouse/library. The building was condemned and abandoned. The City of Espanola had made arrangements for the books that could be salvaged to be moved into a City building. In 1969 the Club moved the book collection to Chimayo. In 1971 The City of Espanola developed plans for a neighborhood facility which would include a 10,000 Square foot library. The New Mexico State Library contributed nearly $100,000 in Health, Education and Welfare funds for the library while other funds came from local fund sources, Housing and Urban Development and the Four Corners Commission.
The complex was built in 1972 and was intended to be a temporary 4 year location for the library, until a new one could be built.